Saturday 20 June 2015

Writing again

The more and more I hear about the asylum seekers, this week about people smugglers getting paid by two connective Government to stop coming, I just have the First Dog on the Moon's amazed face!

So I decided I had to write again.

I must state, my local member has responded to my previous letters with a phone call and/or a phone message and asked to meet. I am a busy working mum and have no idea how I have time to meet, though I probably should. However, at the moment, I think I will have to rely on the form of communication I have available, which is email.

To the XXXX

I know that we have tried to contact each other in the past, beyond email and letter correspondence. However, with the current government’s position on asylum seekers, I do not think I could speak to you in a reasonable fashion. It is awful, inhumane and torturous what is being done to those seeking refuge here, all “lawfully” by the Australian government. It’s not lawful.

I don’t care which government started off shore processing. And I don’t care which government started paying people smugglers to turn boats back to Indonesia. But a good, right and just government would stand up and say, enough is enough. A good government would put an end to the secrecy, the hiding and the ugly acts of violence and torture that is detaining any human, especially children, in desolated and disgusting conditions as those on Nauru island. A good government would seek to stop the issue without torture, or illegal bribes but take a leadership position with our neighbouring countries to look at a regional solution to the asylum seekers. 

There are awful accounts coming out of the offshore detentions centres that even if 1% of it is true, it is still awful. As an Australian, I cannot stand by and let my government feel this is a right response to asylum seekers. It is not! I do not want my country’s  government torturing people in my name. I do not want my country’s government treating asylum seekers as less than human. I especially do not want my country’s government hurting children the same age or younger than my own children for the sake of national security.

This is not right. And there must be a better way.

Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment